Saturday, October 2, 2010

Social Security?

So far, there are lots of weird things about being retired.  Little moments that catch me up and make me wonder how I got here. But, one of the weirdest things right now is that I am drawing Social Security.

Isn't that what old people do?  My mother (88 years old) draws Social Security. All her buddies in their 80's draw Social Security.  Social Security was established originally as a way to help support people when they got too "old" and frail or sick to work. Too old, when Social Security started, was around 65.

Hey!  I'm not that "old" yet? Well, that's what I think, anyway.  I am close to 65, sure, but I'm not "old"...like the original definition of Social Security recipients.  I still have all my teeth, my hearing, and my sight.  Sixty-five isn't old - it's next year!

But I am drawing Social Security, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.  First, of course, is because I don't see myself as an oldster needing support. And second, because I know what a financial drain the whole Social Security system is on our country's finances.  We are approaching a point where we might not be able to support Social Security any longer.  That's a worry.  Third, because I know that the Social Security I am now getting is paid, indirectly, by my son's Social Security taxes, just like my mother's Social Security was paid through mine. Taking money from my son and his generation seems not quite right to me.

I still take the money, though. That's a puzzlement....

4 comments:

  1. Take it - you'll like it, and.... you deserve it! It's really not our problem that the SS $ fund may be losing ground. It's the fault of all of the national legislators (that the "politically challenged" voters elected in past years) that decided that they could "borrow" from the fund to pay for some of their pet projects that otherwise would be unfunded! I didn't hesitate to take my SS $, since I had paid into that fund for 40 years in the belief that it would provide for approximately 1/3 of my financial needs in retirement. There would have been sufficient funds in SS if the legislators hadn't taken those funds and used them for other purposes. I have no feelings of guilt, nor do I feel any ethical conflict, in taking my well deserved share of those funds now that I have reached the age where it was "guaranteed" that those funds would be available to help me financially in my retirement! That's the contract that I agreed to, and I expect the federal governmnet to honor that contract. Ignore any thoughts of guilt that you may have regarding the use of SS funds in your retirement and enjoy your SS "savings". You have worked long and hard to pump money into the fund and now it's time to live off of "your" SS savings. Maybe our kids and grandkids will have the good sense to elect ethical legislators (unlike our contemporaries)in the future to preserve their own SS retirement savings! Unfortunately, the current trend seems to be to continue to elect those on the "fringes" (political crazies) for Congress who are only in it for their own fame and fortune - not the best interests of their constituents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take the money and buy fabric and quilting gadgets!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I don't look at it as you're using the money I'm putting in right now. Maybe that's the way the system really works, but it's easier to believe that the money you put in over the years is what you're getting back out now. Less upsetting, anyway. :-) You spent all those years putting it in you deserve to get it back. That's what it's there for, so use it without guilt. Nothing you do is going to make a difference with whether or not I get Social Security when I retire. So no sense worrying about it. Enjoy what you've earned... Even if there are some jerks out there who don't think you or anyone else has actually earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way that Mariella thinks. Enjoy each day or take that award winning mind of yours and figure out the meaning of life......nothing in between.

    ReplyDelete